Minutes of the Meeting of the Liss & District RNA held at RBL Liss on 15th March 2016
1. Welcome The meeting was opened by the Chairman S/m Bob Dean at 8 pm with the following present S/m’s Brian King (V Chmn). P James (Hon Sec), John De La Perrelle (Cttee), P Overton (Cttee), Alan (Welfare/Padre) & Rae Geddes, Eric Jolley, Dee Dean, Ted Morris, Mike & Julie Probert, Mike Carroll, John Burrows, K Evans (V Pres), Robert Fosterjohn, Jim Duckham, Mike Muggeridge and Ian Singleton.
Prayers were led by our Padre S/m Alan Geddes who directed our thoughts particularly to Norma Fosterjohn currently in QA Hospital.
2. Apologies were recorded for S/m Stephen Taylor (Pres), Reg Hill, Alex Pomphrey and David Palmer.
3. Minutes of the previous meeting having been circulated to all members were proposed as a true record by S/m Jim Duckham, seconded by John Burrows. They were approved by a show of hands and signed in confirmation by the Chairman.
4. Matters Arising – None
5. Chairman’s Report S/m Bob had attended the Area 3 AGM & Quarterly meeting. Branches who had made a donation toward Area 3 expenses, including Liss, were thanked. No contentious items.
He gave some details of the unveiling of a paving slab at St Peter’s Church, Petersfield for Cdr L W Jones VC at 1100 27th May 2016. RBL Petersfield have asked to parade our standard which will be carried by one of their members. Pending.
Branch Website – I have been busy putting together a website as an aid to recruiting. This is progressing well and will hopefully soon be up and running. The domain name of the website is www.lissanddistrictictrna.com . Cost to date £14.21 for the domain name and a further £24.00 for technical assistance. He was grateful for the assistance given by three members of the committee he had asked to ‘test’ it. Whilst some refining was necessary it was nevertheless considered a good start. No personal details will appear, but I would like every member to let me have brief details of their service history i.e. ships and shore bases in which you served date of joining and leaving. The data protection act will complied with. I would ask those who can to visit the site have a look at it and send any comments to me by email and hopefully supply the information I have asked for above. The Chairman also proposes to compile a questionnaire for members without online access to complete.
The Chairman then went on to give a comprehensive brief on how Cdr Jones won his VC. (Hon Sec Note – this will be reproduced in Up Spirits with a reminder of the unveiling of the paving slab on 27th May).
6. Hon Sec Report a) Members who had not paid their subs were reminded that this meeting was the last opportunity.
b) ‘Road to Twickenham’ Money-raising for RN & RM Charity linked to the Army v Navy Rugby match.
c) The RNA accounts for year ending 31.12.15 were available on the RNA website as was the report of the Annual Conference 2015.
d) S/m James Marigold had asked to be removed from the Up Spirits distribution. It is thought he may have been moved into a nursing home. The Hon Sec had spoken to Hon Treas and both wished to suggest that he be considered as resigned. There was general agreement by those present.
e) The Branch had been asked to support the publication of a biography of Cdr Jones VC by Peter Jeffery. Some details still need to be clarified but a sum of £50 has been suggested which is in line with the proposed donation by Petersfield RBL. Pending.
f) March birthdays Alex Pomphrey 4th, Reg Hill 14th .
7. Hon Treasurer Report In the absence of the Treasurer Hon Sec reported that other than collection of subs there were no outstanding matters.
8. Welfare Report Both the Chairman and Welfare Officer stressed to S/m Robert Fosterjohn that if there was anything the Branch could do to assist whilst Norma is in hospital to please let us know.
9 AOB S/m Keith Evans advised that he had been misquoted in previous minutes in that he visited Brest and not North Africa. He also appraised members of his visit to the Lord Mayor at the Mansion House and the celebration of Pangbourne’s centenary.
10. Closed at 8.35 pm.
Mr Trevor Sapey of the Mary Rose Trust then regaled the members with an excellent presentation of the Mary Rose and the newly refurbished museum together with ‘hands on’ inspection of many valuable artefacts recovered from the wreck.